InvestHK is committed to ensuring that all personal data provided under various applications and notifications are handled in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance.
Personal data collected and held
In order to provide a better service to you, we may collect information when you attend our functions, use our services, register with us or communicate with us. The typical types of information held by InvestHK are basic contact details (such as name, job title, company name, address, email, telephone and fax numbers), a record of our contact with you and your areas of interest e.g. sectors, events, publications etc.
Purposes of collecting and keeping personal data
The main purposes for which personal data are kept and used by InvestHK include:
– To provide services or information to facilitate companies to set up or expand their business operation in Hong Kong
– To mail communications, publications, invitations and such like as you may select, request or as we may consider to be relevant to you
– To measure the success of specific campaigns and for general market research; and for registration for events.
We may conduct direct marketing via fax, email, direct mail, telephone and other means of communication whether now or hereafter know, or send e-newsletters to you. You may choose not to receive promotional materials, by simply telling us (see below for contact details), and we will cease to do so, without charge. If applicable law required that we receive your explicit consent before we send you certain types of marketing communciations, we will only send you those types of communications after receiving you explicit consent.
Privacy of personal data
The data collected will be kept confidential. InvestHK will not divulge or sell personal details to external parties for their own purpose. InvestHK may however provide contact information to:
– Agents, contractors and personnel who provide services to InvestHK (for example, to those agencies engaged by InvestHK to administer the distribution of materials); and
– companies and InvestHK’s clients requiring information of service providers.
Security and retention of personal data
Only authorised people have access to, custody of and the means of using personal data InvestHK collects. InvestHK promotes a privacy-aware culture that respects and is sensitive to the rights of its external contacts.
Data captured on-line or via InvestHK website are retained on InvestHK’s server. Storage on InvestHK server is protected in accordance with the requirements of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region which protect against unauthorised or accidental access, processing, erasure or other use.
InvestHK retains personal data so long as the data are still required for the purposes mentioned above.
Access to and correction of personal data
An individual may request access to his personal data held by InvestHK pursuant to the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance. A charge may be imposed to cover the cost of photocopying personal data at the rate as approved by the Secretary for Financial Services and the Treasury. In addition, an individual may also request for correction of his personal data held by InvestHK if he considers the data are inaccurate.
Under the Hong Kong Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, you have the right:
- to check whether we hold personal data about you and to access such data
- to require us to correct inaccurate data
- to ascertain our policies and practices in relation to personal data and the kind of personal held by us.
If you are in an EU Member State, subject to certain limitation and/or restrictions, you have the right under the data protection laws in the EU:
- to request access to and rectification or erasure of your personal data
- to obtain restriction of processing or to object to processing of your personal data
- to the right to data portability
Individuals in the EU also have the right to lodge a complaint about the processing of their personal data with their local data protection authority.
Data correction may be made in writing or on a form specified by us. Request for data access should be made on a standard request form which can be obtained from InvestHK’s Head Office on 25/F, Fairmont House, 8 Cotton Tree Drive, Central, or downloaded here.
Please contact the following officer of InvestHK for request relating to access and correction of your personal data:
Departmental Secretary Invest Hong Kong
25/F Fairmont House
8 Cotton Tree Drive
Tel No.: (852)3107 1073
Fax No.: (852)3107 9140
If there is any conflict between the Chinese and English versions of this Statement, the English version will prevail.